HLTH 330 Exam 4
HLTH 330 Exam 4 Liberty University
- Which of the following statements is false about why food irradiation is infrequently used in the United States?
- HACCP is designed to:
- Under-nutrition, but not over-nutrition, is a major contributor to the global burden of chronic disease and disability.
- Deficiency of this mineral has been found in China, New Zealand, and the Russian Federation where soil content is low:
- One of the most helpful tools to assist people in improving their food supply needs and nutrient intakes is education.
- Bacteria, viruses, and fungi are examples of microbes.
- The main cause of food insecurity in the United States:
- Those substances on the _____ are not subject to food additive regulation.
- Which of the following statements is true about food irradiation?
- A “food desert” is an area that lacks access to affordable nutrient-dense foods.
- Genetically modified rice, called golden rice, is an example of how genetic engineering is used to:
- Salmonella is the most common cause of food-borne illness in the United States.
- Some individuals are allergic or sensitive to certain food additives.
- The groundwater has been contaminated by an industrial pollutant. Which of the following animals will have the greatest concentrations of the pollutants?
- The _____monitor and investigate the incidence and causes of food-borne diseases.
- The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children targets children up to how many years of age?
- Another term of this technique to keep food safe is called cold pasteurization.
- Income level in the United States is directly correlated with:
- According to the incidence of under-weight and over-weight around the world, the number of undernourished people exceeds the number who is overweight.
- Which of the following is NOT a component of the Fight Bac! campaign?
- Of the following, who is least likely to be at risk for under-nutrition?
- Because _____ can be contaminated with botulism spores, it should never be fed to infants under 1 year of age.
- Nutrition transition may have a negative environmental impact by depleting non-renewable resources.
- All of the following are effects of nutrition transition except:
- You are a food safety manager of a plant in Illinois that exports Amaranth, a nutritionally rich grain. Which of the following agencies would you contact to get information on food manufacturing processes in China?
- The first goal of the United Nations Millennium Summit:
- All of the following are benefits of organic food production techniques except:
- An agricultural shift to increased production of cash crops has the following effects, except:
- Color additives that are classified as “certified” have undergone rigorous testing that ensures humans will not have adverse reactions from their use in foods.
- All of the following are advantages of organic farming as compared to conventional farming, except:
- The _____ ensures the safety and quality of foods sold across state lines with the exception of red meat, poultry, and egg products.
- Cross-contamination can occur when uncooked foods containing live microbes come into contact with foods that have already been cooked.
- One of every four Americans receives some kind of food assistance.
- Once a food is contaminated with bacteria it is not safe to eat, even if it is prepared in a manner that destroys pathogens or toxins that are present.
- Food borne illness caused by pathogens that multiply in the human body are termed “food-borne ____”:
- To establish tolerances for pesticides, the risk of toxicity is weighed against the benefit that the pesticide provides.
- Locally grown produce contains ________ of pesticides as compared to produce that is shipped across the country for sale in grocery stores.
- The FDA regulates direct, but not indirect, food additives.
- The majority of food borne illnesses occurs from consuming food that is contaminated by:
- Genetic engineering has sped up the process of improving the traits of organisms. Which of the following describes the process of engineering a genetically modified plant?
- In light of Proverbs 23:21 which reads “For the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty, and slumber will clothe them with rags,”one can inductively conclude that ________________ is a healthy means of achieving stability in life.
- Based on 1st Corinthians 9:19-20 which reads “Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies,”God has little investment in one’s lifestyle.
- Your textbook presents government intervention as a viable means of solving social hunger issues. Based on Acts, which of the following is the institution that God intended to solve this problem?
And they devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. And awe came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were being done through the apostles. And all who believed were together and had all things in common. And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need.(2:42-45, ESV)
Now in these days when the disciples were increasing in number, a complaint by the Hellenists arose against the Hebrews because their widows were being neglected in the daily distribution. And the twelve summoned the full number of the disciples and said, “It is not right that we should give up preaching the word of God to serve tables. Therefore, brothers pick out from among you seven men of good repute, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we will appoint to this duty. But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word.” And what they said pleased the whole gathering, and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolaus, a proselyte of Antioch.(6: 1-7)
- Because we are “Created in the Image of God,” even unbelieving atheistic or non-“religious” individuals exhibit characteristics of the Lord such as compassion and the desire to help/care for one another. Based on the course material, which of the following secular groups is in the GREATEST agreement with biblical concepts (with regards to the relation between work and food security)?
- According to Proverbs 6:6-8, which reads “Go to the ant, O sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise. Without having any chief, officer, or ruler, she prepares her bread in summer and gathers her food in harvest,”there is a DIRECT connection between the concept of food security and personal responsibility.
- The text states that “Eliminating world hunger in the long term requires controlling population growth.” In the US and other developed nations, abortion is a viable choice and is often used as a means of birth control. Read the following passages:
Psalm 139:14 “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.”
II. Jeremiah 1:5 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”
III. Luke 1:41 “When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.”
IV. Luke 1:44 “As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy.”
V. Galatians 1:14-16 “But when God, who set me apart from my mother’s womb and called me by his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son in me so that I might preach him among the Gentiles, my immediate response was not to consult any human being.”
VI. Psalm 51:6 “Yet you desired faithfulness even in the womb; you taught me wisdom in that secret place.”
VII. Exodus 1:16 “When you are helping the Hebrew women during childbirth on the delivery stool, if you see that the baby is a boy, kill him; but if it is a girl, let her live.”
VIII. Genesis 37:4 “When his brothers saw that their father loved him more than any of them, they hated him and could not speak a kind word to him.”
The option/choice of abortion violates which of the following passages that portray meaningful life before birth and therefore suggests that abortion is not a Godly option for controlling population growth?
- Considering the Nutrition Safety Net in America 1 out of every _______ Americans receive some kind of food assistance.
- With regard to contaminants, smaller species of fish tend to be safer than bigger species of fish.
- According to your text, fish that live near the shore are more likely to contain contaminants than choosing salt water fish caught way off shore.
- Which of the following is an example of a food additive?