Liberty GOVT 329 Topic Brief Answers
In American Exceptionalism: An Experiment in History, Charles Murray defines four
traits exhibited by the American people in the early days of the nation which made them exceptional.
You will be required to submit an essay at the end of Module/Week 8 on one of the four traits of American exceptionalism, in which you will:
- Define this trait.
- Describe how this trait came to be uniquely associated with American culture at the time.
- Describe how this trait, depending on the virtue or vice of the people, could be a benefit or a detriment to American exceptionalism.
- Discuss whether or not this trait is still characteristic of modern-day America.
In preparation for that essay, this week’s assignment requires you to choose one of those traits as the focus of your essay.
- Community Life
Write a two-page topic brief, not including title page and bibliography, summarizing your responses to all of the prompts below. Note that this is an early, brainstorming stage; as you complete more research for your essay, your understanding of the topic and prospective answers to the questions posed for the essay will take shape. Complete the following steps:
- Choose a topic from among the four traits of American Exceptionalism.
- Describe why you chose this trait as the topic for your essay.
- List a minimum of three (3) scholarly sources in your bibliography. Additional non-scholarly sources may be incorporated. Sources you use for your topic brief’s bibliography must be included in your annotated bibliography in Module/Week 6, the bibliographic entries of which will be incorporated into your essay in Module/Week 8.
Submission: The topic brief must include the title page, topic brief of at least two (2) pages, and bibliography. Parenthetical Author-Date style is required for citations. Follow current Turabian Author-Date style for all components. Submit your topic brief no later than 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Monday of Module/Week 3, which begins on the preceding Tuesday