ENGL 300 Quiz 2 The Inferno
ENGL 300 Quiz 2: The Inferno and Medieval Worldview
Covers the Learn material from Module 2: Week 2.
- Name two of the three “fierce beasts” that block Dante’s way in the first canto of The Inferno.
- Identify two of three “ladies” that commission Virgil to help Dante.
- How does Minos, the judge of the underworld, indicate the level of hell that a particular sinner will be sent to? (in other words, what gesture does he perform?)
- How do Virgil and Dante manage to get into the locked-up city of Dis?
- What is the entirely appropriate punishment for the flatterers (“brown- nosers”) in hell?
- What circle of hell is Dido in and punished for what dominant sin?
- How are the thieves like Vanni Fucci punished in hell?
- No medieval Christian theologian would deny the general theory of planetary influence (in other words, astrological influence) over human temperament and personality.
- Which is an example of a text from the High Medieval period?
- Which medieval “humour” is composed of hot and dry elements?