EDUC 703 Quiz Native Americans & Progressivism
- Which person was not known as being active in the education of Native Americans?
- Match the individual with the relevant school. Richard Pratt Jonathan Edwards Samuel Armstrong
- What stance did Bartolomé de Las Casas and Michel de Montaigne convey to Europeans regarding Native Americans?
- Benjamin Franklin documented an acceptance speech from the Iroquois Confederacy who were glad to send their young men on scholarships to the College of William and Mary.
- What is credited as signicantly increasing literacy rates among the Cherokee?
- What were the ndings of the 1928 Meriam Report?
- What factor(s) inuenced more cultural sensitivity in government schools for Native Americans? Choose all that apply.
- Who was not part of the progressive education movement and was critical of it?
- From what philosophy did the progressive education movement derive its core principles?
- By what date did all states in the U.S. have compulsory education laws for 1st through 6th grades?
- SHORT ESSAY: Choose one of the options below. Respond in a brief essay of one or two paragraphs (8 points).
OPTION 1: What was the main point in the speech by the Iroquois regarding the offer of scholarships to the College of William and Mary?
OPTION 2: Describe the impact of the 1928 Meriam Report.
OPTION 3: Describe general trends of progressive education and what
factors led to the progressive model in American schools.