Liberty PSYC 430 Case Study: Anxiety Answers
Diagnosing Generalized Anxiety Disorder:
1a. Refer to the DSM-IV checklist for generalized anxiety disorder. Which of Tina’s symptoms meet any of the criteria? (Be sure to match specific symptoms with specific criteria.)
1b. Based upon your review of Tina’s symptoms and the diagnostic criteria, could Tina be diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder or not (and if not, why not)?
Diagnosing Specific Phobia:
2a. Refer to the DSM-IV checklist for specific phobia. Which of Tina’s symptoms meet any of the criteria? (Be sure to match specific symptoms with specific criteria.)
2b. Does Tina have a specific phobia and if yes, what is the feared object?
Diagnosing Panic Disorder:
3a. Refer to the DSM-IV checklist for panic disorder with agoraphobia and the checklist for panic disorder without agoraphobia. Which of Tina’s symptoms meet any of the criteria? (Be sure to match any specific symptoms with specific criteria.)
3b. Does Tina meet the diagnostic criteria for panic disorder with agoraphobia or panic disorder without agoraphobia or neither? Explain why you believe your choice is the most appropriate diagnosis.
Understanding Tina’s Disorders:
- How would the Socio-Cultural Perspective explain Tina’s GAD?
- Explain Tina’s GAD from the Existential Perspective.
- Explain Tina’s GAD from the Cognitive Perspective (please identify any basic irrational assumptions that Tina is making, even if they may be unspoken).
- Explain Tina’s Phobia from a Behavioral Perspective (please use classical conditioning as a possible example).
- Explain Tina’s Phobia from a Psychodynamic Perspective.
- Considering the biological correlates or causes of Tina’s panic disorder, what role does the neurotransmitter norepinephrine play in her panic disorder?
- What does Tina’s locus ceruleus have to do with her panic disorder?
- What role might GABA play in her symptoms?
- Which Psychodynamic technique has been found to be the most useful in the treatment of GAD?
- Explain why a humanistic approach would be helpful in treating Tina’s GAD.
- How might you use Rational-Emotive Therapy to treat Tina’s GAD?
- How would Systematic Desensitization be used to treat Tina’s phobia of bridges?
- What medications have proven useful for treatment with panic disorder?
- What role could cognitive therapy play in Tina’s treatment for panic disorder?
- Considering that Tina may be treated for comorbid disorders, how do you see the treatments for the various disorders complementing each other?
- Is there any reason to think that any of the treatments would be contraindicated when utilized together? Explain why/how or why/how not.