LING 301 Quiz: Introduction to Linguistics
Covers the Learn material from Module 1: Week 1.
- A wolf is able to express subtle gradations of emotion by different positions of the ears, lips, and tail. If the wolf could express a thousand different emotions with this complex system, would the wolf’s system of communication be equivalent to human language?
- Humans can communicate about things that happened a long time ago or a long distance away. This is called:
- In the movie, My Fair Lady, the protagonist teaches Standard British pronunciation, word choice, and syntax to Eliza Doolittle, a native speaker of a Cockney dialect. This movie’s plot illustrates which kind of grammar?
- Linguistic competence refers to the subconscious knowledge of one’s language.
- Which sentence is ungrammatical in English?
- Which type of grammar reflects the way that people actually speak?
- Many linguists consider a child’s ability to quickly learn a language without instruction to be evidence of the existence of Universal Grammar.
- The terms language and writing can be used interchangeably because they mean the same thing.
- Which of the following words CANNOT be a word in English?
- For the most part, the words used in human languages are arbitrary, meaning there is no inherent relationship between the form of a word and its meaning.
- Actress Marilyn Monroe and Sir Winston Churchill (Prime Minister of the United Kingdom during World War II and again from 1951 to 1955), as well as many other famous people were stutterers. Stuttering is a problem with
- The way that we use our linguistic knowledge in actual speech production and comprehension is our linguistic competence.