Liberty GOVT 360 Midterm Answers
Choose 2 of the following essay questions to answer for your Midterm Exam. In each textbox within the exam, note which question you are answering.
- What is the difference between special interest power and public interest power? What is the relative power between special interest and public interests in the political arena?
- Is it ever acceptable for public administrators to “dirty their hands” for the public good? Why or why not?
- What does Michael Lipsky mean by the term “street level bureaucrats”? Explain how a street-level bureaucrat, in implementing public policy, may actually be making policy.
- Explain the difference between philanthropy and charity. Use examples from private and non-profit organizations to describe these differences.
- Evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of faith-based initiatives. Do these initiatives violate the First Amendment establishment clause?
- Explain the concept of picket fence federalism, using an example from local government in your city as a model.
- Explain public-choice theory. What government service, in your opinion, is best handled at the local level? Why?
- Can lying by a leader ever be justified by the argument that it is being done for the public good? Why or why not?
- The authors speak of 4 levels of ethics. Explain these 3 forms of ethics: professional ethics, organizational ethics, and social ethics.
- Explain the basic thinking of classical organization theory.
- Explain how Adam Smith’s concept of division and separation of labor relates to the classical model of organization theory.
- What did the term “bureaucracy” originally mean? What does the word “bureaucracy” generally signify to the public today?