ENGL 201 Pre Test 3 Liberty University
- A major tenet of Romanticism is the belief that the Natural world is good
- A major characteristic of the American Renaissance is an interest in nature.
- William Cullen Bryant wrote “Thanatopsis” when he was 21 years old
- Washington Irving authored The Sketch Book of Geoffrey Crayon, Gent.
- William Cullen Bryant discarded his romanticism and embraced neoclassicism.
- William Cullen Bryant started writing poetry when he was a 45 years old.
- Walt Whitman wrote “Mardi” and “Redburn.”
- Thoreau’s “Civil Disobedience” illustrates application of transcendentalism to politics.
- The refrain “I prefer not to” recurs in Herman Melville’s Moby-Dick
- Emerson was influenced by both 2nd and 3rd generation metaphysical poets.
- Washington Irving authored “To a Waterfowl.”
- Says the scholar is the total man at his fullest creativity.
- Wrote horror stories
- Another name for the age of Romanticism is the American Renaissance.
- William Cullen Bryant’s wrote “Thanatopsis.”
- Who defined the scholar as “Man Thinking”?
- The Romantic writers had great interest in Antiquarianism and Primitivism
- To him who in the love of Nature holds
Communion with her visible forms, she speaks
A various language;
These are the opening lines of the poem________
- This poet a successful poem should be melancholic in its beauty.
- William Cullen Bryant wrote during the colonial period of American literature.